Turquoise – A Gem of a Colour!
Turquoise is the big “Trend” colour for decorating. It livens up brown and gives punch to a neutral room.
A list of some attractive variations of turquoise by various paint companies can be found below.
There are a whole group of colours that can be called turquoise so we are going to call it its colour name which is green-blue. This covers all the varieties of green-blues; lighter, darker, greener, bluer and green-blues that are muted with grey or brown to produce softer, less vibrant versions of turquoise.
If you have trouble deciding what paint chip is the green-blue of turquoise (rather than aqua which is blue-green), go first to the graduated paint chips that are found between the true green and the true blue chips. Beside the green chips you will find blueish green and as you move towards the blue chips, they become greenish blue. Pull out chips in this area and look at the middle colour on the chip. Choose a strip whose middle colour is the colour of a turquoise gem in a piece of southwestern jewelry. This is true turquoise.
You can now simply choose one of the colours on that graduated chip or you can go back the the selection of graduated chips and pick out strips to the left or right of it to find the colour you want. You will find a green-blue strip that is a little bluer, one that is a little greener and one that looks a little greyer or less bright. The greyer ones are the muted colours and although they don’t look as pretty on the paint chip strip, they look really well on your walls, so don’t pass them by because the don’t look as attractive to you.
- Tip: Turquoise greenish blues are often named for water, have a tropical theme, or a Mexican theme.
Here is a sampler of green-blues from various paint companies.
Light, clear colours:
- CIL/Glidden/ICI – Gentle Breezes & Crystal Pool D44
- Sico – Crystal Sea -6151-21, Waterborne 6150-11
- Benjamin Moore – Fountain spout – 2059-70, Icy Moondrops 2056-70
- Debbie Travis – Daydream CF8J
Light Muted Colours:
- Sico – Bottled Water 6156-21, Mexican Silver 6154-11
- Benamin Moore – Icy Blue 2057-70 Ocean Breeze 2058-60
- Valspar – Cool Elegance 7005-1
- Behr – Fresh Day – ( a new product which is paint & primer combined)
Medium, Clear Colours:
- CIL/Glidden/ICI – Tahoe Blue, Sea Fare D44
- Benjamin Moore – Blue Seafoam 2056-60, Fairy Tale Bue 2055-50
- Sico – Scintillating Blue 6052-31, Baha Mar 6051-41, Shimmering Water 6150-31
Medium Muted Colours:
- Ralph Lauren – Light Sky 1881
- Benjamin Moore – Turquoise Powder 2057-50, Tranquil Blue 2051-50
- CIL/Glidden/ICI – Skywatch SE28, Falling Rain SE29
- Sico – Paris 1900 6155-41, Pale Turquoise 6154-31
Deep, Clear Colours:
Note: Dark green-blues are actually teal blue not turquoise. I have chosen medium dark colours that are a darker turquoise but not yet teal.
- CIL/Glidden/ICI – Java Sea D44, Pacific Coast D45
- Sico – Cayman Blue - 6151-52
- Benjamin Moore – Caribbean Blue Water 2055-30
Deep, Muted Colours:
- CIL/Glidden/ICI – Riverboat Cruise – MC28
- Sico – Ingonish Waves 6153-63